Roulette has been a go-to game for many players for several centuries. The game is rather easy to play. However, you will need to remember a few rules, systems, and limitations.
Rules and How to Play
Each roulette table has a wheel and a table. The wheel is turning in one direction, and the croupier will release the ball rotating in the opposite direction. There is an inner rim on the wheel, and the ball would rotate in it until it loses the momentum. When that happens, the ball will start falling and usually hit one of the deflectors that would make it fall down. Eventually, the ball would end in one of the pockets of the wheel marked with numbers from one to thirty-six. There are also two (or sometimes one) pockets that are marked with 0 and 00.
The goal of the game is to successfully predict the pocket or number where the ball will end. Since roulette is undoubtedly a game of chance, the player won’t have any impact on the outcome of the game. The only thing that they can do is place their wagers on a number or even several of them where they think that the ball might end. When the game is about to start, all you’ll have to do is place chips on the table.
The Betting Options and Payouts
As we already mentioned, the player won’t have any impact on the result of the game, and the only thing they can do is place their bets and wait to see if they won. Now, the betting options are one of the most exciting parts of the game, and there are so many options that the player can choose from.
The first among many available options is to wager on the color. While there are two colors available, red and black, the zero pockets are neither. Usually, zero pockets are green, and you won’t be able to bet on that color unless you place your chips specifically on the number zero.
There are two types of bets you can take in the game, inside and outside bets. The main difference between the two is that inside bets are usually paying more. Naturally, they will be harder to guess. The other difference between these two types of bets is that outside bets have their own boxes, while inside ones have special rules of placing chips.
- Single number. The first option and the most profitable one if you guess correctly will allow you to wager on a single number on the wheel. Furthermore, you can bet even on the two zero numbers. To place your chips on any of the numbers, you will need to place your chips inside the box with that number. If you manage to guess correctly, you will receive the payout thirty-five to one. Even though there are thirty-eight pockets, the ones marked with zero won’t count for the payout, so you will be paid as if there were only thirty-six pockets in total.
- Split. The second option is to place chips on two adjacent numbers. You can choose to either bet on two horizontal or even vertical neighboring numbers. For example, you can bet on eight and eleven by placing the chips exactly on the line that’s separating these two. Since you are wagering on two numbers instead of just one, the payout will be lower. If you guess correctly, you will receive seventeen to one payout.
- Street. Here, you will try to guess on three numbers by simply placing the chips on the outer edge line of either left or right number. For example, place your chips on the line of the box with number four to bet on four, five, and six. You could also place them on the outer edge of the number six. The payout for right guess is eleven to one.
- Corner or square. Here, you will bet on neighboring four numbers by putting your chips or your bet on the corner of any four boxes. For example, the numbers you can select can be eleven, twelve, fourteen, and fifteen. The payout will be even lower compared to the previous options, and you will win eight to one payout if you guess right.
- Double street. Similarly to the previous examples, you can bet on six numbers in sequence like sixteen to twenty-one. To place this so-called double street bet, you will need to put your chips on the outer edge but between the two numbers. These numbers for our example are either one and four or three and six. The payout is five to one.
- Trio and basket. The trio option is betting on three numbers where one is zero and the other one is double zero. So the number combinations can be either a single zero with one and two or double zero with two and three. The other option is basket bet, where you will place the chips on the outer edge either between zero and one or in other case between double zero and three.
Naturally, outside bets are without a doubt the more popular ones since you will have a lot more chances of hitting one of these. However, the payouts will be much lower.
- Low or high. It is possible to bet on numbers that are either high or low. Each table will have the boxes with one to eighteen and nineteen to thirty-six written on them. These allow you to wager on half of the numbers, and the payout is one to one.
- Red or black. Similar to the previous examples, you can pick either red or black. All of the outside bets will have their own boxes, and if zero or double zero wins, you will lose your money. None of the outside bets cover zero pockets. However, on inside bets, you can select one of the options that involve these two pockets.
- Even or odd. The third bet with one to one payout involves betting on even or odd numbers, and there will be a special box for betting on either of these two.
- Dozen and column bets. The last two bets that are available in every casino involve betting on either one of the three dozens or even on one of the columns on the table. Both of these bets will pay two to one.
- Snake bet. There are casinos that offer a special bet called snake, where you would bet on any number zigzagging on the table starting from one. So the numbers are one, five, nine, and so on.
Variations of the Game
It is worth mentioning that there are several versions of roulette, besides the American wheel. The first one is European roulette, where there will be a different number sequence on the wheel with only one zero pocket. The game is much more player-friendly since the house edge will be a lot lower. The sub-version of European game is the French one where, if it happens that the ball ends up on zero while betting on the outside bets, you will get half of your invested money back.
The other version of roulette is not so popular roulette wheel with three zeros. As you can imagine, many players avoid this table since it lowers the chances of winning even further.
Do Betting Strategies Work
There are so many strategies and betting systems available for playing roulette, but they are all flawed. They are either focusing on eventual win or simply ignoring the fact that casinos have maximum and minimum betting limit. Since players won’t come to the casino with infinite money to bet, all of these systems can fail. Furthermore, even if they don’t fail, the amount that you can win is usually insignificant. Besides, they require you to keep track of the previous bets and outcomes carefully.
We already said that roulette is a game of chance, so there will be no way to predict the outcome. The only thing you can do is to take your chances and hope that you are lucky enough to win.
The general rules for playing online versions of the game are the same as the ones you can find in any land-based casinos. You will place the money on one of the numbers or bets that you like. The odds of winning will remain the same. Naturally, you will have a chance of picking European, American, and even version of the game at an online casino.
Roulette remains one of the most exciting and popular casino games in the world, and there is undoubtedly something special and enchanting about watching that wheel turn. The most important thing you should remember in the end is that you should have fun. Finally, you should always approach the game responsibly and never bet more than you can’t afford. If you follow all the rules, you will have fun, and you might even be able to win.